If you currently subscribe to the Individual Membership and want to add members, you can upgrade to a Family Membership at any time. The Family Membership covers up to 5 additional members for just $72 per year.
You can upgrade your membership in your online account by following a few simple steps outlined below:
Log in and go to your Account Settings page
Once you are logged in, click on the "Account" icon in the top right-hand corner of any page on the site. This will take you to your Account Settings page.
Select "Upgrade to Family Membership"
On your Account Settings page, locate and click on the blue "Upgrade to Family Membership" button located under the Account section (as shown below).
Choose your membership
On the next page, you will choose whether to upgrade or stay with your current membership. If you do not wish to continue, you can click on 'Cancel Upgrade' located underneath the blue button.
If you would like to upgrade to the Family Membership, click on the blue button that says Yes, upgrade now.
You're all set!
After selecting Yes, upgrade now, your account should be successfully upgraded. You will be redirected back to your Account Settings page where you will be able to view your updated membership information and begin adding new members.
You can return to an Individual Membership at any time if you decide you no longer want additional members on your account.
When you upgrade from the $36 per year Individual Membership to the $72 per year Family Membership, you will receive a prorated refund for the Individual Membership based on the amount of unused time you have left in the year. Then, you will be charged a prorated amount for the Family Membership based on the remaining number of days of your one-year membership period.
How does proration work?
Here’s an example that explains how we calculate your prorated refund and prorated charge:
You sign up for an Individual Membership and are charged the $36 annual fee. After using the Individual Membership for 87 days, you decide to upgrade to the Family Membership. To figure out the prorated refund and charge, follow the steps below:
- Calculate the daily rate of the Individual and Family Membership. To find the daily rate for each membership, divide the membership cost ($36 for individuals or $72 for families) by the number of days the membership is active (1 year = 365 days).
- Individual Membership = $36 / 365 days = 0.1
- About 10 cents per day
- Family Membership = $72 / 365 days = 0.2
- About 20 cents per day
- Individual Membership = 87 days (The Individual Membership was active for 87 days before upgrading)
- Family Membership = 278 days (365 - 87 = 278)
- (278) X (0.2) = 55.60
- # of days the Individual Membership will be inactive: 365 - 87 = 278
- (278) X (0.1) = $27.80
After the membership upgrade, your credit card will have one refund and one charge:
- One prorated refund for the number of days you will not be using the Individual Membership during this annual period: -$27.80
- One prorated charge for the number of days you will be using the Family Membership during this annual period: +$55.60
In total, you will be charged ($36 - $27.80 + $55.60) = $63.80 for an annual membership in which you used the Individual Membership for 87 days at a rate of 10 cents per day and the Family Membership for 278 days at a rate of 20 cents per day.